Shoulders workout is one of the toughest one and not to mention that building shoulder mass is also hard. At the same time, it’s really important to have the delt mass for an aesthetic and well-balanced physique.
Now only that, your shoulder muscles play a vital role in all movements, especially building the upper body strength. Your delts also cover the shoulder joint and having their mighty look will help you nail down the v-taper look.
First, let me tell you about the deltoid anatomy. It consists of three heads:
- Anterior head or anterior deltoid.
- Medial head or medial deltoid.
- Posterior head or posterior deltoid.
When you work on your shoulders, the anterior delt takes most of the weight load and this plays an important part in giving the bulky shoulders look.
That being said, let me take you through the proper form and technique for dumbbell shoulder and barbell press.
Dumbbells Shoulder Vs. Barbell Press | Proper Form & Technique
1. Barbell Press Proper Technique
The barbell shoulder press, either done on the smith machine or on a flat bench requires less focus on maintaining a correct posture and range of motion. This gives you the benefit of pressing heavier weights thus giving you some serious gains in less time.
Your form and technique must be correct in order to prevent muscular imbalance and injury.
How to Perform?
- Start by sitting on a flat bench with a backrest under the squat rack.
- Now, grab the barbell using a pronated grip while holding it at 90-degree angle at your elbows.
- Start by lifting the bar above your head until both your arms are straight. This will be your starting position.
- Now lower the barbell gradually in front of you until it reaches just above the collar bone.
- Hold this position for a second and press upwards until your arms are straight. But don’t lock your elbows and prepare for another rep.
2. Dumbbell Shoulder Press Proper Technique
A great advantage the dumbbell shoulder press has it enables you to move through a greater range of motion. Though the downside here is that you need more focus on controlling your movement which pushes you back to grab light weights.
Overall, the dumbbell press will help improve the muscular and strength imbalances. Here’s how to perform it with proper form and technique.
How to Perform?
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and sit on a vertical bench with your back straight.
- Now, position the dumbbells above your head off the floor. This will be your starting position.
- Now, extend your arms without locking out the elbows.
- Gradually lower the weight in a controlled manner until the arms are parallel to the floor and the dumbbells are just in line with your head.
- Hold this position for a second and press back again.
- For better control while you press up and lower, try to bring your chest up.
- Keep the back slightly arched but not too much.
- If you need extra support, use a bench with back support.
Dumbbell vs. Barbell Shoulder
Both the exercises help build a great delt mass while the only downside is with the dumbbell shoulder press as they require more focus and control as compared to the barbell version. All you need to do is to stick to proper forms and techniques along with sets and rep ranges.