They say we all have the same 24 hours in a day, but between work, family and other responsibilities sometimes it’s not easy to get to the gym and sling around some iron. I know after a full day, the last thing I want to do is go workout, but I know if I don’t I’ll regret it. So instead of making excuses, I started creating workouts that can be done at home. They’re fast-paced and challenging, but completed in a faction of the time. They don’t require any machines or weights (unless you want to really challenge yourself!). You’ll build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Who doesn’t like that?!
Next time you’re pressed for time, try this plyo-based workout! (see images below)
• 20 Air Squats
• 20 Mountain Climbers
• 20 Jump Squats
• 20 8-Count Bodybuilders
• 20 Pop Squats
• 30sec-1min Rest
• 5 Rounds, Timed
Here are some pointers to keep in mind
1. Air Squats – Make sure feet are shoulder-width apart and knees do not come past 90 degrees. Remember: Ass to Grass.
2. Mountain Climbers – As you’re executing your climbers, make sure both feet come in contact with the ground during the movement. Only pumping your knees to your chest doesn’t count!
3. Jump Squats – Make sure to point your toes as you launch off the ground.
4. 5-Count Bodybuilders (similar to burpees)–
Count 1: Starting from standing, squat down placing hands on the ground
Count 2: Jump back into a plank (up-side of push-up)
Count 3: Kick feet out wide
Count 4: Kick feet back in to resume traditional plank posiiton
Count 5: Jump back to squat position and return to standing
5. Pop Squats – Start by doing a traditional air squat, but upon the up movement to standing, jump the feet together and “pop” them back into the squat position as quickly as possible.
Time yourself!! It’s a great way to document your progress. Revisit this workout again in a couple weeks or a month to see how much you’ve improved by seeing a decreased time! Timing yourself is also a great motivator since you know by quitting or constantly stopping, you probably won’t be happy with your time.
Get a friend involved!! Have both of you time your workouts and see who has a faster time. Who doesn’t like a little competition? Or do the workout together and motivate each other during points of weakness!
You’ll get your heart rate going and sweat pouring by the end of this workout! Your glutes and core will thank you!
After you’ve killed your legs at home, try this gym workout to finish off murdering your quads</a href>